Borthwickshiels House

Borthwickshiels is a Grade A listed mansion set amongst the hills of the Teviot valley. The house originally dates from c.1731, with extensive remodelling in c.1837 by noted local architects John and Thomas Smith, and again in 1913 by another local architect, James Alison, who gave the house its existing classical interior. An extensive programme of works was undertaken in several phases during 2010-12. This comprised general refurbishment and alterations, including the opening up of several existing rooms to form a new kitchen/dining space, detailed in keeping with the historic character of the house.