Cairns House is a conversion of the former United Free Presbyterian Church in a central Border’s village. The building dates from 1878 but ceased to be a place of worship in 1938, after which it was used as a farm store and war-time depot, until purchased by our clients in 2000. The conversion located the open plan living space on a new upper floor level, to take advantage of the expansive volume created by the historic timber roof trusses, and to allow views out over the surrounding countryside of the Tweed valley to the Cheviot hills. Bedrooms are located on the existing lower floor level, connected to the living space by a large central glazed lightwell and staircase. Detailing throughout is crisp, minimal and modern, contrasting with the traditional detailing of the historic church fabric, which includes many ornate and beautiful stained glass windows. The conversion work was completed in 2004. Cairns House was featured in “Homes & Interiors Scotland” and “Build It” magazines in 2005.