Kames House is a Grade A listed mansion set in the rolling countryside of the Scottish Borders. The core of the house dates from the 17th century, with alterations and additions carried out in successive years, including work by noted Edinburgh architect Harry Ramsey Taylor in c.1913. Originally owned by the Dickson family, it was the birthplace of Henry Home, Lord Kames, from whom it takes its name. Lord Kames (1696-1782) was a philosopher, judge, writer and an “agricultural improver”, beginning his pioneering agricultural pursuits at Kames during the late 1740’s. He was a central figure of the Scottish Enlightenment and a founder member of the Philosophical Society of Edinburgh. His writings defined the fields of anthropology and sociology, and therefore the modern study of history for two hundred years. An extensive programme of works was completed in 2007. This comprised refurbishment, alterations and repairs to all parts of the house, and the upgrading of services. A new outbuilding was also constructed to house a wine cellar and boot room, designed in a simple traditional style to match the house.